Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Family Vacation

It's not very often that my family and I get a chance to spend time with each other.  During wedding season, I'm quite focused on my weddings that I don't get a lot of chances to spend with my family, which is very important to me.  My husband, a general contractor, is also extremely busy.  So between the two of us, we rarely get to spend time with our children during our busy seasons.

This year we decided otherwise and planned a much needed family vacation.  My wonderful husband who is an avid sports fisherman hadn't had time this year to get to the lake and yearned deeply to be on the water.  I, on the other hand, not so much (ha-ha).  I was quite content to be sitting by the campfire with a good beer in my hand listening to the ever joyful peaceful and quietness known as my tranquility.

So being the event planner that I am, I needed a plan as to where we would be going and what we would be doing.  My husband, on the other hand, is more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy and just wanted to pack and go...A thought that always makes me cringe because at some point in the journey he'll look at me and say "I should have let you planned something" lol.  This year, I planned too and thus began my journey to plan our family vacation with no help from my loving husband, no clue as to where he wanted to go, where he would like to stay, nothing...thanks for the help hun!!

Seeing as we only had 10 full days of blissful tranquility, and two of those days for travel, I need to figure out where we were going to go.  And since we were hauling our holiday trailer, RV parks were my first idea...my husband's idea.."we can stay anywhere hun, even on the side of the road if need be"....right...like that was ever going to happen.  First of all I don't do "the side of road or anywhere for that matter."  I need hook-ups, I need washrooms, showers, power.  I know you're probably wondering to yourself, "well that's not really camping" well camping to me means all the comforts of home NEATLY tucked away in a 30ft holiday trailer with FULL hook-ups and NO TV. 

So I began to research where is a good place to go since we had limited time and distance played a huge factor.  Brian, my husband, wanted to go to the Okanagan which would have fabulous, but timing wasn't on our side.  He, of course, said to me "we can always stay at one spot to a couple of days and move on." Although he wasn't the one who had to pack and unpack the trailer every time we stopped...I think he might have forgotten that part.  I proceeded to tell him I was not planning on staying in one location for just two days...it takes me that long just to get settled ha-ha.  I said we have to stay at least 4 days as long as I got him on the lake.  He compromised and said okay, as long as I'm on the lake I don't care lol.

Well I found our location after Googling for several hours "RV Resorts & Campgrounds".  Hwy 24 was our destination or better known as the "Fishing Highway".  My husband was like a kid in a candy store.  He was surrounded by 124 lakes...we saw TWO.  Moondance Bay Resort was our first destination on Bridge Lake and I loved it.


However, getting to my "tranquility" was not so tranquil.  The first day was quite the adventure in itself and it all started when my wonderful husband decided to purchase a NEW truck..without telling me.  Nothing like coming home after dropping something off to find a different looking truck in the driveway and wondering "what the..."  Mind you he had this "I didn't do it" look on his face like the truck magically appeared out of no where.  Okay I have to admit it is a nice truck - 2014 GMC Sierra diesel 2500 (like I know what that is ha-ha).  We were set to leave at 9am but actually didn't leave until noon because he was buying a truck. 

The night before he purchased a bike rack for the trailer bumper and thought it would be a great idea if we bought ALL our bikes.  I proceeded to ask him "Ahh hunny, when was the last time you actually SAW me on my bike??"  Now my bike is a mountain bike that's burnt orange in color and has a large thick frame...unlike the rest of my family's bikes that are small round frames.  So after he fiddled with the bikes for over 2 hrs, he got them all on the bike rack with my daughter, Jordyn's, bike at the front.

We finally hit the road at 12 pm and start making our way towards Prince George, BC like a bat out of hell because he forgot to mention to me that we needed to be there by 5 pm so they can put a canopy on the truck.  We stopped at the bottom of Powder King for a quick stretch. Brian & the girls get out to check things out and all I hear is "Dad, where's my bike??"

Yep you guessed it...

We LOST her bike.  Somewhere between home and where we stopped, her bike flew off and all I can think of was "OMG I hope we didn't cause an accident."  Now being the ever loving and supportive wife that I am, I angrily looked at my husband, who was already saddened by the incident, and said in a not so friendly and warm tone "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Was that end of our adventure?? Oh no...there's more.  Here's what happened the rest of way in point form (you'll thank me later):

 1) had to buy Jordyn a new bike in PG
 2) bought a new canopy for the truck
 3) totally bent the back support legs on the trailer while getting the new canopy
 4) "big sigh"
 5) bought a new support leg in 100 Mile only to find out it didn't fit
 6) bought another pair of support legs in Kamloops when we went there after we settled at Bridge Lake for a few days.

Moved to Loon Bay Resort on Sheridan Lake after 4 days and it was just as beautiful.

The view from our RV site

  7) left Loon Bay Resort after just 2 days when our neighbours moved in and were LOUD thus losing my tranquility :(
  8) Made it Valemount, BC only for me to get stung by a Black Hornet (I'm allergic) and was rushed into Emergency when my tongue started to swell..Oh what fun...thankfully they were able to stop the reaction.
  9) Had to stay in Valemount just in case, however we did find a real gem of a campsite called Tete Jaune Lodge Campground on the Thompson River.

I must say that I truly enjoyed myself and enjoyed the time I had with my family and it's memories like these that will always stay with me.

Sheridan Lake
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment