Tuesday, August 6, 2013

How to choose the RIGHT Photographer - Part 1


Choosing the right photographer is just as important as every other element in your wedding including your wedding planner.  As a wedding planner I work with every vendor chosen and often times choose the vendors to ensure each event is perfect.  But sometimes certain elements are already chosen, such as the photographer.
But how do you choose the RIGHT photographer?

I asked three amazing photographers, I’ve worked with in the past, that very question. 
Trent Ernst – Eye for Detail Photography

photographs by Eye for Detail Photography copyright 2013. used by permission

I’ve worked with Trent Ernst of Eye For Detail Photography before in the past and have always admired his unique style and vision with each photograph he takes.  I’ve also enjoyed his sense of humor.  This is what Trent said when I asked “What are 3 key elements in choosing the right photographer”:


“Some people think photographers just point a camera in the right direction and push a button. But there are as many photographers as people with cameras and each one has their own vision, their own way of looking at things. As a photographer, I don't want just anybody as a client, and I am going to be as picky as you are in choosing clients.  
Wedding guide books will have a list of twenty questions to ask photographers, from what type of gear they use to how long are they in business. I'm not a fan of many of these, as the questions don't really get to the heart of the matter. How does knowing that I use a Nikabladt camera with a 50 1.2 lens with turbo diesel injection let you know if I am the right photographer for you? All it lets you know is that I have a certain tool. Do you ask your plumber if he uses Mastercraft wrenches?
When I talk to clients, I tell them there are three things they need to be looking for when choosing a wedding photographer. The first is: Can I afford this person? Just like plumbers, there are people who have been doing this for a few months and who will charge enough to cover gas and coffee, just to say they are a photographers. Then there are others who have been shooting weddings for two or three decades and actually run a business with overhead and rent they need to pay each month, so wind up charging a lot more. Gary Fong famously charges $120,000 to shoot a wedding, though he is an exception, not the rule. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you'll find a young up and comer who will charge next to nothing who knows what she is doing and will take killer photographs, but don't chose the photographer solely on price. This is why most photographers don't post prices on their website. Not because they are trying to trick you, but because if this is the only thing a potential client sees, there is a good chance they won't bother to answer the next two questions. 

The second question is: do I like this person's style? You need to look at their portfolio. What does their previous work look like? I typically tell people that you need to appreciate the photographer's style. If you can't see yourself in their photos, chances are, they are not right for you. I shoot dramatic images with strong processing and a lot of flash. Others shoot all natural light with lots of lens flare. Others shoot all black and white. Some pose every single shot. Others shoot photo journalistically. What works for you? 
The best relationships I have had with clients are the ones who insisted that I shoot their weddings because they loved my style. The worst are the ones who just need a photographer and I was the only one who was free.

Speaking of relationships, that's the third thing. Do you (pardon the pun) click with the photographer? There are people I talk to for the first time and we are fast friends by the end of the conversation. There are others who don't appreciate my sense of humour, or don't like the fact that I am a dude or think my breath smells funny. Whatever the reason, if you don't like the person, then they aren't the right photographer. 
Chances are you'll be spending more time with me than with your husband to be on your wedding day. As a photographer, I want that experience to be something that you'll always remember in a good way. I still have people who come up to me and thank me for going, quite literally, out on a limb during their wedding, climbing a tree to get the right angle.  That's so much more gratifying than getting served with a restraining order by your former brides.*

There might be some specific questions you want answered (do you do spot colouring? Not if I can help it.), but if you start with these three questions as the heart of your conversation with potential wedding photographers, you will be miles ahead of the person who just asks about the equipment. “

*(Note: I have never been served with a restraining order by any former bride. Remember that sense of humour I was talking about?)

Quoted from Trent Ernst – Eye For Detail Photography

You can check out his amazing work at www.eyefordetailphotos.com

To see some of the amazing work Trent did for me at one of my weddings, please visit www.tlsweddingdesigns.ca/gallery

Stay tune for Part 2 of this blog with Danica Sullivan of DanicaGPhotography

No comments:

Post a Comment